We’re delighted to have a guest post from our friend Franky at Love Audrey on her top tips for designing a bedroom which will help you to drift off to sleep.
My husband and I are currently transforming our master bedroom. It’s a slow process; we’re doing all the work ourselves and taking our time over big purchases like built-in bespoke wardrobes and made-to-measure curtains.
Throughout the whole makeover, ensuring a good night’s sleep has been at the forefront of our minds. Before we started the project, we spent over 18 months living in complete disarray. After moving house with very little furniture, our clothes were stored in bags and boxes on the floor while our ancient mattress had definitely seen better days. In short, nothing about the space was conducive to rest and relaxation.
Aside from hating how it looked, we found the chaos in our bedroom really effected the quality of our sleep. We knew things had to be different in the new room, so we decided to focus on a few key things.
Here are my top tips for designing a bedroom that will help you drift off to sleep…
- Choose a colour scheme that soothes you – Whether you want the room to be light and bright or dark and moody, pick colours that calm you. After much deliberation, we opted for a muted blue-grey on the walls. The clever paint somehow manages to look light and airy during the day while still feeling seriously cosy at night.
- Make sure you buy a good mattress – Life’s too short to sleep in an uncomfortable bed, so do your research and find a mattress you love.
- Invest in the best bed linen you can afford – Partnering with Christy over the last 12 months has been a revelation. Where I once thought high-quality bedding was simply ‘nice to have’, I now consider it essential. The high thread count and 100% Egyptian cotton really does make all the difference.
- Use accessories to add warmth and texture – I want our bedroom to feel cosy and inviting. Combining different textures with warm wood and brass details seems to have the desired effect. We opted for a stylish upholstered bed, the gorgeous Loops Throw and Sham, a silky velvet Horizon Cushion and eventually we’ll add a super soft rug underfoot.
- Keep everything in its place – Storage is still a work in progress for us, but purchasing a new chest of drawers and a temporary wardrobe showed us just how important it is. Keeping clutter to a minimum makes it much easier to sleep soundly at night.