Now more than ever, we are hearing about the importance of washing our hands to help protect from harmful microbes. As towel hygiene plays a key role in overall hand hygiene, we have put together our top 5 towel hygiene tips.
Washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water helps to prevent the spread of unwanted and harmful germs. It is worth noting that the final step of washing your hands, drying them with a towel, is just as important in the cleaning process. Complete hand hygiene starts with washing your hands, but is incomplete without drying your hands with a clean, hygienic towel.
You may think that your towels are clean, after all, you are drying your freshly washed hands! Although this is true, it is not always the case.
‘Some scientists have gone so far as to call towels the most germ-infected object in your home, and it’s likely you aren’t washing them nearly enough.’ Medical Daily.
Towels pick up bacteria from the human body, and combined with the addition of moisture, towels can become a breeding ground for bacteria. Using a towel that is used, unwashed and damp can spread bacteria throughout the household.
With this knowledge at hand, we have put together our 5 top towel hygiene tips that you can follow:
- Wash towels after 2 days of use. Regularly washing towels will expel bacteria on the towel.
- Wash towels in hot water so that all the microorganisms are removed.
- After every use, allow towels to completely dry out. Rotate your towels to give wet towels time to dry.
- Don’t share your towels with family members. Everybody should have a separate towel to discourage the spread of bacteria between people.
- Avoid hanging towels to dry on the same hook/bar. Spread them out separately so that as much surface area exposed as possible.
Following these top 5 towel hygiene tips will help to keep you and your family safe by keeping your hands clean. What are your towel hygiene tips?