Mulled wine, a classic warming drink that is a favourite of anyone who loves the Christmas season. Every year, we wait for the right time of year to add those much loved spices to our favourite red wine to create the perfect accompaniment to our favourite festive film and the roaring fire.
Luckily, our friend Fritha Strickland from Tigerlilly Quinn is here to give us a fun twist on an old classic with her recipe for cranberry mulled wine from the Christy 2014 Christmas guide. Simply follow her simple recipe, and you’ll be onto a winner with this crowd pleasing Christmas tipple.
To make your own cranberry mulled wine, all you need is:
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 x cinnamon sticks
- 10 x whole cloves
- 2 x star anise
- 5 x allspice berries (optional extra, not essential)
- 2 x oranges (peel and juice from one, the other sliced to serve)
- 100g dried cranberries
- 500ml cranberry juice
- 250ml ruby port
- 500ml red wine
- Fresh cranberries to serve (optional)
Once you’ve gathered all your ingredients together, simply follow the instructions below:
- In a medium/ large saucepan combine your sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves, star anise, allspice berries and orange peel and juice from one orange. Pour over enough of the cranberry juice to just cover the ingredients. Heat, stirring frequently over a medium to high heat until all the sugar has dissolved and you get a slightly thicker looking ‘syrup’. Add the remaining cranberry juice and the dried cranberries and continue to cook over a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add your port and red wine and warm through for 5-10 minutes. Be careful to not let the mixture boil and when warmed through, carefully ladle into glasses taking care not to include any cloves etc! Garnish with an orange slice and some fresh cranberries before serving.
- Most importantly, enjoy!